Sunday, July 5, 2009

All these years...


This past week was a really rough week. It started off on a great note, my parents and I went to Lexington, KY to visit and then were suppose to go to Ashland to see my mom's family for a get together.


Tuesday was awesome because I got to see my friend Jordan and her boyfriend, Brandon. I love going back and visiting friends who are more like family. At UK, I always hung out with Jordan, Molly, and Katie.



On Thursday morning, we recieved really bad news. My grandmother had been taken to the emergency room for some swelling in her leg. About 2 weeks before that, the day after her 90th birthday, she fell and fractured her hip. She was in the hospital for about a week and she survived the operation to fix her hip. We came straight back from Kentucky and my uncle (my dad's older brother) came from Ashland to see her at the hospital. We spent Thursday evening and Friday afternoon/evening at the hospital. It was clear that she was in pain and it was so weird seeing her just lying in the bed hooked up to all those machines.




I got a phone call in bed on Saturday at 7:22 am from my dad. My grandmother had passed away.



Growing up, I had 2 grandmothers. Both my grandfathers passed away before I was born. My other grandmother passed away when I was nine. My gram peach was my constant grandparent. She would send me letters every week with a dollar in it. She spent every single Christmas and Thanksgiving with my family. I can't remeber a holiday season without her. She was the one person in my life who was always there for me.




The last few years have been rough because of her dementia and she has been in a nursing home since last summer. She was at the wedding and the picture that I am going to post is of ehr at the wedding. She lived to be 90 years old.


I knew that she was going to pass away someday, but it hurts so much that she is gone and I have lost that part of me. She was a wonderful grandmother and an amazing woman.....


I love you, Gram Peach!



2 comments:

Katie Jones said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram Peach! You're in my thoughts, Jessica.

cindy glawson said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandmother. It sure sounds like she was a wonderful woman.